Wednesday 3 April 2013

TRAILER draft : feedback + evaluation

Once I had created my first draft of my trailer, I decided that I needed to get some feedback. Gathering feedback has enabled me to see what has worked well, what hasn't, and what could be changed about my trailer to make it most effective and suitable for the horror genre. To gather the feedback I used 3 different methods; YouTube, e-mail and showing my fellow classmates and friends.

YOUTUBE:
I uploaded my trailer to YouTube because it is the most popular internet site for video posting, sharing and commenting on. I therefore able to gather feedback from this because in the description to my video, I asked for people to comment on it about what is good/bad/what to improve. Here are some of the comments that I got on my video: (click to enlarge)



From these comments I have learnt that I definitely need to add some more clips to the montage section of my trailer. After creating my trailer I personally thought this was an issue with my trailer too.So because other people have also said this, I therefore will change this in my final trailer so that it is more effective and conforms more to the conventions of other horror trailers. 

EMAIL:
When I carried out my initial questionnaire for the whole task (back in last October), I emailed 3 different age categories, sending my questionnaire to 10 people in each category. I therefore thought that it would be a good idea to email some of the same people to gather feedback about my trailer. I emailed 4 people from each category (15-25, 26-35 and 36+), asking them for feedback about my trailer. Here are a few of the replies: (click to enlarge)


I am very happy with this feedback, as it shows that I have successfully conformed to some of the conventions of horror trailers. I also have learnt what I need to change in my final trailer, like the changes to volumes, titles and release date. The downside to using email for feedback though was that as one of the emails shows, some people may not check their email much, so some of the replies I got were quite delayed.

SHOWING FELLOW MEDIA STUDENTS:
When I decided on who my target audience was, I said that I wanted to have a broad target audience  because it gives the film a larger market. I also said though that I wanted to slightly focus more on the 15-25 age group as this is my age group and gathering more frequent feedback from this age group would be easier. I therefore decided to ask my fellow classmates for feedback for my first draft. This is what some of them said:

Student 1
Good - camera work (angles and range of shot types) and the POV handheld effect
Bad - Don't understand the clips of the female character? Why is she running?
Improve - Red or bolder titles to make them stand out more :)


Student 2

Good - conforms to the psychological genre as it plays on fears and creates tension
Bad - not enough clips in the montage
Improve - more clips in montage


Student 3
Good - End scene, the jump scared me!
Bad - don't understand why they are at the setting
Improve - explanation of why they are 


I am also very happy with this feedback. The improvements that people have suggested aren't too large, so I am going to incorporate as many of them as I can in my final trailer. Asking my fellow classmates was useful because they also are doing the same trailer task as me, so they  understand all of the conventions of different film genres. Focusing slightly more on the 15-25 year old age group was also what I wanted to do (for my target audience), so asking these people was advantageous. 

OVERALL EVALUATION AND PLAN TO MOVE FORWARD:
After gathering all of this feedback, I have decided what I will change about my trailer to make it better. This includes:
  • Make the titles a bit bigger
  • Voice over saying something along the lines of 'Lets go find Slender' at the begining to explain more why the characters are at the setting they are at, and so show why Anna (the female character) is running after the group of characters see Slender
  • A few more clips to film and add in the montage section
  • Cut the clips of the setting a bit, as they are currently a little too long
  • Change the release date from 'coming soon' to a specific date


No comments:

Post a Comment