Friday 19 April 2013

EVALUATION : ancillary tasks (part 2)


WHAT HAVE YOU LEARNED FROM AUDIENCE FEEDBACK?

POSTER

After creating a draft of my poster, I decided to get some feedback. This was so that I could change the poster so that it looks more professional and is more effective at persuading people to want to watch the film and is more effective at portraying the horror and film themes. These are some of the key pieces of feedback I received from asking people in my media class what the thought about my poster:
-GOOD POINTS - Nice effects (brick wall etc.), looks scary, colours scheme works well for a horror film, and is linked well to the film
I am happy with this feedback as I wasn't sure that the poster looked scary enough. I also wasn't sure that the colour scheme would work because I only used 3 colours, although feedback has shown me that it has worked.
- IMPROVEMENT POINTS - Add text at the top of the poster such as 'staring..', the title should be placed higher up, and the title font/effects should be changed to look more 3D
This feedback was great because I after reading it all, I totally agreed with what people had said. I made the changes that were suggested and my poster final product looks very professional and effective as a horror film poster in my opinion.

MAGAZINE

I also decided to get feedback for my magazine draft, again so that I can then make changes to it so that it is more appealing and professional looking. This is some of the key feedback I got back from my magazine draft:
- GOOD POINTS - conventions such as masthead and cover lines look professional, main image is good and can tell it's a horror film, and the layout and colour scheme links well to the horror genre.
I was very pleased with this positive feedback as it shows that my magazine conforms to the conventions of real media products, and links well to my chosen  genre.
- IMPROVEMENT POINTS - change the colour of the text at the top, remove the white line near the bottom of the page, and to add an edition number/date
I am also happy with this feedback as the improvements weren't massive changes to make. I changed all of the things stated above so that my magazine looks more professional and effective as a front cover for a magazine featuring a horror film.
Overall, getting feedback for both of these products was very useful. This is because after I made changes to the issues raised in the feedback, my products look more professional and conform to more conventions of real media products. This again proves that audience feedback is very useful and vital when creating products that have a purpose of attracting a persuading people to watch a film. 


HOW DID YOU USE MEDIA TECHNOLOGIES IN THE CONSTRUCTION AND RESEARCH, PLANNING AND EVALUATION STAGES?
RESEARCH:
Google - Before I could analyse different magazines and posters, I had to find images of them first. I used the search engine Google for this. I specifically used Google Images because it is the world's largest search engine, and on Google Images you can choose the size of the image you are looking for. I found this very useful because I needed to find large images of the posters and magazines, because otherwise the quality would have been poor when I enlarged them to analyse them.
Microsoft Word -
This programme is the most commonly used word processor programme on Windows computers. I decided to use this technology to analyse the posters and magazines because I could easily change the page orientation, insert and image, and then insert text boxes around the image to analyse them. Microsoft Word also has a 'drawing' tool, so I drew arrows on the document to match up the features on the poster and magazines with the relevant text around the image. Doing analysis on the computer also meant that I could save where I got up to and carry on at different times, and I could also easily edit things  I had written, which is not possible if I had done with on pen and paper.

PLANNING:
Pens and paper - Like with my film trailer, I just used pen and paper for planning. This was so that I could be creative and jot down ideas when I thought of them, and could do it in a structured and visually appealing way (such as brain storms).

CONSTRUCTION:
Adobe Photoshop CS6 - When it came to actually making my poster and magazine, I used Adobe's brand new version of Photoshop called CS6. This is a graphics editing programme used by professionals to edit images and create projects such as posters. I therefore felt that using this programme would help me to create a professional looking product because of the capabilities and availability/range of tools available on the programme. However, the programme costs many hundreds of pounds, so I downloaded a 30 day free trial of it. This advancement of technology though (the fact that you can download trials of programmes from the internet) meant that I was able to use top of the range software at no cost.
Using this programme was extremely beneficial and effective as I was able to edit images, add layers to images and add text etc. to create my poster and magazine. I was also able to import new fonts that I downloaded, so that they were the same as the ones used in my trailer. 




Here is a print screen of the programme to show you what it looks like

No comments:

Post a Comment