Friday 19 April 2013

EVALUATION : teaser trailer

IN WHAT WAYS DOES YOUR MEDIA PRODUCT USE, DEVELOP OR CHALLENGE FORMS AND CONVENTIONS OF REAL MEDIA PRODUCTS?

Actors
REAL MEDIA
- Main characters are introduced in most film trailers, regardless of whether they are for  the horror genre or not
- Only a few characters introduced so that not too much is given away
MY TRAILER
One of the actors played Slender, and it is important I introduced him in the trailer as this is who/what the filmed is based on. I also introduced 3 other characters, who are the main characters in the film, so that a brief storyline could be set and so that the target audience is shown (wide age range but focused on ages 15-25). My trailer therefore uses the convention of film trailers, and works effectively so that the audience is informed but not too much is given away (because not all characters are introduced).
Sounds
REAL MEDIA
- Non-diagetic sound used in horror trailers so that an atmosphere is created
- Sounds that are harsh toned and slow paced are used a lot in horror trailers to build tension and create a sense of negativity
MY TRAILER
In my trailer I used a range of different sounds. Some of the sound is diagetic, such as the dialogue at the beginning of the trailer. This is effective because it helps set the scene and inform the audience what the trailer/film is about / what happens in the film. This conforms to conventions because there is normally some type of dialogue in trailers.
I also used a lot of non-diagetic sound in my trailer. I used a lot of sound from iMovie (such as noises of bombs), and edited them all together so that the desired effect of creating a negative atmosphere and building/developing the horror theme was achieved. This therefore conforms to conventions of real media products, and sounds such as the crescendos (to create a sense that the trailer is building up to something) and loud bombs/bangs (like when Slender jumps out at the end) were very effective because they make the audience feel scared and anxious, which is one of the key characteristics/conventions of horror films/trailers.
Narra-tion
REAL MEDIA
- Narration is often used over the top of trailer footage
- In my research I found that the narration is generally not by any of the characters
- Narrations can ask the audiences rhetorical questions to get them thinking, whilst also informing them about the storyline
- Usually narrated by a man, and his voice is usually deep
MY TRAILER
I used narration in my trailer, however I developed the convention of horror trailers because the narration of my trailer was created to sound like one of the main characters. This develops conventions because it is not usually narrated by a character. I think it is very effective though because it meant that I was able to inform the audience about what the film/trailer is about through this narration. The narrator is the same person who is on the phone to Stu at the beginning, so that there is continuity and so the storyline makes sense. The narrator says things such as "Just find the notes, and run", making it sound like he is talking to the other characters in the film. This narration is key to the storyline because it tells people what the characters have to do in the film, therefore conforming to the convention that narration is used to help audience understanding of the film, but develops it (because of who is narrating).
Release date
REAL MEDIA
- The release date is usually the last thing to be shown in the trailer
- No specific date given in teaser trailer

MY TRAILER
The release date of my film is the last title in my trailer, and it shown right at the end, therefore conforming to the convention that most release dates are not shown until the end. This is effective because it makes my trailer look more professional, and means that viewers have to watch the whole trailer before they find out when the film is released. Because this trailer is a teaser trailer, it is an advertisement for the film in the early stages of its advertising campaign. I therefore haven't used a specific date for the release date, and I have just stated the month and year that it will be released. This  again, conforms to conventions of film trailers.
Camer- awork
REAL MEDIA
- Range of shot angles
- POV shots common for horror trailers/films
- Close-ups of characters faces and key elements of the trailer/film to introduce key parts of the storyline or key characters

MY TRAILER
In my trailer I have included many different clips, which includes a wide variety shot types, angles and lengths.
As highlighted in my questionnaire results, POV shots are key convention of horror films because they make the audience feel like they are in their shoes, and therefore the audience empathise with the character and fear is created. I used this type of camera work in a few clips in my trailer, but the most effective is the shots at the end where the POV is of Slender standing in the room with the character and then he jumps out. This is pictured below and fully conforms to horror film conventions because fear is created and the effect given is that it makes the audience jump, which is another key convention of horror trailers/films. The length of these clips challenges conventions though because they are  quite long clips compared to the short length of clips in horror trailers. I still think it is effected though because tension is created and it makes the jump scare more effective because it is so unexpected.
Here is a print screen of the POV shot I used at the end of the trailer (click to enlarge)




I have also used other types of shots (all pictured below), such as an establishing shot to introduce the setting, close-ups to introduce characters, panning shots to show setting, high angle shots to show vulnerability of characters (like Slender is watching down on them), and long shots to show action (when Anna runs through the woods). This range of shots therefore conforms to conventions of horror films/trailers, and they make the trailer more interesting and attractive. I therefore thought that conforming to camera work conventions was important because it helps introduce certain aspects of the film/storyline, and gives the audience an idea of what the film will be like(therefore making it more appealing and professional looking).


Close up shot






Establishing shot





High angle shot

Long shot
Editing
REAL MEDIA
- Many clips from the film are used
- Title of film not shown until the end

MY TRAILER
I have used many clips in my trailer. I conformed to this convention because it was necessary for me to so that I could explain the storyline to the audience. I have used clips that show the characters explaining parts of the storyline, so that the audience can work out what briefly happens/what the film is about. Although, my  feedback highlighted that I did not have enough clips in the montage section, so I added more for my final product. I have also conformed to the convention that the film title is not shown until the end. Again I feel that this is effective because it means that the viewer has to watch all of the trailer before they find out what the film is called. This is a great advertising technique and I think it works well.
With regards to the actual visuals in my trailer, I have slightly developed the conventions of horror trailers/films. The colours of the clips in most horror films and trailers are generally less saturated than other film genres, and generally have lower exposures and brightness's. I have conformed to this, however I have slightly developed it/challenged it as I have decreased the saturation, decreased the brightness, increased the contrasts and added a vignette over the top of my clips. I feel that this has turned out well for my trailer because it helps to create the mood and atmosphere, and is reflective of the dark and eerie theme of a non-human follower that kills people in my trailer. This is pictured below.





Ratings card/logos
REAL MEDIA
- All professional films will have a green ratings card at the beginning
- Company logos are shown, normally at the beginning of the trailer
MY TRAILER
To make my trailer look professional, I included a green ratings card at the beginning. This conforms to conventions of any of trailer, and I feel that it is important in making the trailer look more professional.
I have also included a company logo/name, and have done this by created a sort of title sequence for the production company. I have called the production company 'Nevill Studios', which is obviously fictitious because I don't have my own film company and can't copy another film company's name and logo. I have inserted a picture below of how it looks in my trailer.



No comments:

Post a Comment